Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Nashville, TN

Toronto to Nashville: Google Maps estimate +7hrs.

Hands down, this was the worst day of driving I've ever endured. The day started calmly enough with my car sputtering to a start only to stall four times before we hit the Gardiner. Yes, I should have changed my battery before we left - but why not wait? Cross-border savings!

The the snow squalls which were forecast materialized between London & Sarnia around 5:30am. I was sure this would be the worst of it - we're in Canada, it couldn't be any worse further south. I was wrong.

As the car I'd spared no expense praising over the years became increasingly temperamental we decided to take an early morning tour of Sarnia for an emergency battery replacement. Replaced that myself by the way, as the snow fell around us. +1.5

The border crossing was surprisingly simple, although lengthy. I had my SEVIS paperwork, my receipt for my M-1 or I-95 or whatever it's called and had it quadruple-checked by the curious border patrol officers. I later found out one of my classmates was turned away the day before with his wife and new baby for an issue with his paperwork. Close one, I guess. +1

Picked up my bunker gear from Joel at Turnout. Quilted pants & jacket in Texas - looking forward to it. +0.5

F Burger King.

Around 3:30pm, just as we crossed into Kentucky the weather was quietly appointed the new Tour Director of our little holiday until further notice.

We found ourselves in a traffic jam that extended over 40km of intersecting highways around Fort Mitchell, KY. It took over 2hrs to travel 11km. The highways were completely iced over. I've never seen anything like it. No salt trucks, no police directing traffic, no signs warning of the terrific weather. Not a single radio station reported any of it.

We regrouped at McDonald's and took advantage of the free WiFi. Not to be undone by our deteriorating situation, we set out for a back-roads adventure in Northern Kentucky. I had resigned myself to not eating at Jack's Barbecue in Nashville. +3



Hours later we came across a newly inverted SUV resting against the dynamite wall. I pulled over and Katie ran over to do what heroes do - save some lives. As we arrived on scene the final passenger was squeezing out of the rear window. She couldn't have been more than five years old. All four family members were without a scratch. The father explained to me in strained English that he had been listening to music and closed his eyes. He said something I couldn't understand about Jesus. His wife said they had no insurance. The fire department arrived. Not 100m up the road was another almost identical accident. +0.5


I guess we weren't having such a bad go of it after all.

F Sonic America's Drive Thru. That makes 2/2 burger meals. Combined I'd only give them a 6/10.

Additional traffic jam. +1

Nashville, good night.

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck down there James. I can offer to help in two ways:

    1) Send Spencer to live with Kate....no need to thank me, just doing it out of the kindness of my heart.

    2) This question will likely be on your first test - "T or F, does everything burn?" Answer: T. © 1988 Bruce Warden School of Fire L-ighting.

    Enjoy!

    Keep up the bloggin'

    ReplyDelete