Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Difference a Day Makes...



In Peace, Love & Barbecue Mike Mills cites Cozy Corner as one of the "shrines, shacks, joints, and right-respectable restaurants." If you love barbecue and you don't own this book, you ought to (the Brothers Laing, that's you...) It's with me now, and it's crossed the border at least thrice not to mention how many times I've take it up north.

So, if we were driving through Memphis around lunchtime, what kind of people would we be if we skipped it? Besides, we missed it last time in Memphis because they're closed on Mondays.

Somehow they make all other barbecue places I've been to look a bit too clean, a bit too inauthentic. The smell alone is enough to make you want to stick around, but wait until the ribs come out of that smoker. It's been a long while, but I think I can safely say they were the best ribs I've ever had. The freshest, tastiest, smokiest ribs ever. (apparently, they only use charcoal!?) That's it.








Later in Shreveport, LA we had Jack's Barbecue (different Jack, same idea.) I can't compare it to Cozy Corner so I won't. It's was ok. The sliced brisket sandwich was tender, the sauce was ok and the ribs had a nice peppery bark.

No comments:

Post a Comment