Sunday, March 18, 2012

Live Fire

Last week we finally started live fire training. This week we'll finish it up. We put the wet stuff on the red stuff (and we're not suppose to say that because there's more to it than just water and fire.) But we did. The unfortunately thing about all this is that I can't really show what the fire looks like in there because it's over 1000ºF in the burn room and I'd rather not melt my camera. I might take the ol' iPhone in as Captain Sherwood seems to think it'd be alright for a short period of time. We'll see about that.

There's practice with water, hoses, smoke and black masks and then there's live fire. Practice like you play. We bring it all together in the burn room, 'pencil' a bit of water into the hot gas layer at the ceiling then hit the fire with a few short bursts until it 'darkens down'. There's a lot of lingo in this business but once you get to really putting out the flames it makes much more sense. What a rush! I know now that I'd be happy to do this for the rest of my life. There's nothing like it. I finally know I made the right decision coming all this way, putting everything on hold and following a dream that seemed a little less than half baked just a few months ago. This job is awesome.






No comments:

Post a Comment